Welcome to my blog. Here is where I upload a recent collection of my works and provide a little bit of background detail to them. I am currently Really enjoying my drawing and will be using this space as an outlet for my creativity. My work tends to border somewhere between drawing and design and must be taken at face value. I do not claim to be fantastic (although feel free to call me that) but I enjoy what I do and I enjoy sharing it. Please feel free to leave any feedback on any of my posts, all interaction is appreciated. I hope you enjoy what you see.

Tuesday 3 December 2013

Perspective Experiment's - Series 1


Eleventh Entry: Perspective Experiment's - Series 1

My work has been giving me great enjoyment recently and has helped me through a pretty hard time, however after various different themes and experiments I decided to do something different with the hopes of "expanding my horizons". With this in mind I started looking for something new and became fascinated with perspective experiments following my sketches of buildings.

What follows is my favourite four recent drawings of perspective. Under each one I have written a little about how I drew them and what I ultimately thought of them. I decided to upload them all in one post so not to clog up the blog with more single posts that quickly become overwhelming. While it is harder to post this way I think it makes for a neater and more concise layout.  



Experiment with One Point Perspective:

For this first one I decided to go a one point perspective experiment, as if the buildings were being viewed from a birds eye. After a few failed tries I eventually settled on a design and a method I liked and set to work. I started with a central focus point and then constructed the road. I worked out from this point to form the buildings and negative spaces. I drew up the all the lines and then it was a "simple" task of filling in the shadows from the point of view of a single light source. 

Notes:
This drawing was simple in method but required quite a bit of precise pen work. The hardest part of this drawing was deciding on and constructing the individual shapes inside of the buildings. The one thing I didn't really like with the result of this drawing was how above the road was much darker than bellow it. But this problem stems from using a single light source. Overall however I like how it came out and enjoyed drawing it. I plan to try more experiments with one point perspective. 

Although I planned to start a new experiment with one point perspective I decided in the end to go for a different perspective experiment. After some deliberation I decided to go with a three point drawing. 


My First Experiment with Three Point Perspective:

So today I decided to do a little bit of an experiment with three point perspective. I have used 3 point perspective before but never really liked the effect it gave. However, that being said, this time I really enjoyed working with it and it felt good to use some different techniques. I have decided to do more experiments with perspective, might well be in less detail than this one though. Over all I like the way this experiment went and it was fun to do things a little bit differently, there are little bits of it that I would change but not too much. This one took me about three hours but it felt like less.  I may continue working on it a little bit down the line but I hope you like it as it is now.

Notes:
As always there are elements of this drawing that I really like and elements that I'm not so keen on. I am really enjoying drawing again and have lots of plans to work on. For this one I started by sketching out the rough outlines of the buildings. I then went over it all in fine red pen. To finish it off I went over the edges of the buildings with black Ink. 

Happy to be done with it for the time being, off to do some more perspective quick experiments. I also have coded more stuff for this blog including the Gallery and the Facebook tab.



My Second Experiment with Three Point Perspective:

After enjoying my first experiment with three point perspective and having at least some success I thought I would try a second experiment from a different point of view. For this drawing I chose to go for one building instead of a city scape. I also chose to picture it from above rather than from bellow like before. Using two crossing paths I hoped to add depth to the drawing by leading the eye into the centre. For shading I decided to use a simple parallel line effect to show the changing of light and the forming of shape.

Notes:
I enjoyed this experiment and think it came out well. While I am not completely pleased with it I can't quite put my finger on what it is that I don't like, so as a result of lack of evidence I like it quite a lot. I used this drawing to hark back to my enjoyment of fantasy art and to stray away a little from just straight line. I think of this drawing as clean, interesting and a move in a positive direction.  

After this I started looking at other ways of experimenting with perspective as I was really enjoying what I was doing. That's when I came across five point perspective. 


Experiment with Five Point Perspective:

Through looking at various types of perspective I came across five point perspective, which I found very interesting. The desired effect of five point is to produce an effect similar to that of looking through a fish eyed lens. It took me a long time to work out exactly how to draw like this but after many pencil sketches I finally worked out a pattern. This drawing is not completely original as I used a similar drawing to reference from.This is my I believe it came out more cartoon like than my normal drawings.

Notes:
I found this drawing very hard due to the complicated perspective and the use of lots of straight lines. I really enjoyed drawing this piece but didn't enjoy quite how it came out. I think it was a very useful experiment but I don't believe it will be one I will be repeating. Having said this I love the idea of using five point perspective. 
                                                                                                                                                                                                  


I really enjoyed This series of experiments and believe that I have learnt a lot. Using different kinds of perspective is something that I have done before but I have never understood it quite to the same degree.     

No comments:

Post a Comment